By Lydia Bolen
June is the perfect month to grill out. It is fun to branch out and try new marinades with fish, chicken, and pork.
Everyone enjoys being outside in the summer, so fire up your grills and experiment with different recipes.
Pair your meats with healthy veggies and grains. Nothing can be easier!
Grilled Shrimp and Vegetable Kebabs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine (can substitute lemon juice or white wine vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup small cap mushrooms
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
Mix oil, wine, and seasoning in a small bowl. Alternately thread shrimp and vegetables onto skewers. Brush with seasoning mixture.
Grill over medium heat, turning frequently, 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and vegetables are tender-crisp.
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Pour half the marinade into a large Ziploc bag; add tenderloins. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
Drain and discard marinade from meat.
Grill covered, over indirect medium-hot heat for 20 to 35 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 145 degrees. Turn occasionally and baste with reserved marinade. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- Fresh parsley
In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Italian dressing, and dry mustard.
Reserve 1/4-cup marinade and set aside.
Place mixture in a gallon Ziploc bag with chicken. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Add chicken to grill and cook, flipping once, and basting with reserved 1/4-cup marinade.
Cook about 6 to 8 minutes on each side.
Garnish with fresh parsley.