May 4-5, 2013
MCL: What is the Gardens of Madison County?
Leslie Davis: The Gardens of Madison County, presented by Madison-Ridgeland Academy, is one of the Metro areas most successful springtime events. The tour showcases the beauty of the area’s local gardens while providing educational opportunities to learn more about various aspects of gardening.
MCL: When will this year’s event be held?
Ashley Venable: This year’s Garden Tour will be held on Saturday, May 4 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday, May 5 from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Leslie Davis: The event kicks off each year with a Garden Party held on Friday evening. This year’s party will be held at the beautiful home of Paula and Chris Hughes in Reunion Subdivision. The party is a great way for MRA patrons and friends to socialize with each other and meet some of our Gardens of Madison County sponsors and homeowners.
MCL: What should one expect to see on the tour?
Ashley Venable: This year’s tour features eight unique gardens in Madison County. From newer courtyard gardens to expansive, established landscapes, the tour has something to offer every gardener. The tour includes the homes of Dr. and Mrs. Rahul Vohra in Tavern Hill, Dr. and Mrs. Woodie Mason in Wildwood, Janna & Randy McIntosh in Wildwood, Lee & Terry Powell in Ashton Park, O’Hara & Bill Croswell in The Township, Marsha & Danny Russell in Ingleside and Patricia & John Eaves on North Old Canton.
MCL: Will there be presentations on those days as well?
Leslie Davis: The houses will feature tablescapes and landscapes provided by local designers. Our featured presenters this year include:
- Author, Katy Houston, will be available to sign her heartwarming cookbook Sweetness Follows.
- Terry Powell, owner of Powell Place Landscape Services will present “An Outdoor Space for All Seasons.”
- Kathy Smith from Jerry’s Flower & Gifts will present “Practical Flower Arranging.”
- A Daisy A Day Flowers will also be sharing tips with tour-goers on arranging flowers.
- Shaun Smith of Shaun Smith Home, located in New Orleans, will show how to create stylish organic and contemporary spaces.
- Nellie Neal, known as “The Garden Mama” to her radio audiences will present “Timely Tips.”
- The professional cooking team from Madison Fireplace & Patio will have a grilling demonstration on the Big Green Egg ceramic cooker.
- B.C. Rogers from Persnickety Kitchens will also be on hand to provide a cooking demonstration.
Ashley Venable: Be sure to visit the MRA campus on where you will see The Gardens’ Market & Café. The ever evolving market will feature fresh new items for the garden such as herbs, hanging plants and flowers and an array of outdoor home & garden décor. The Garden Café will offer delicious lunch items that you can take along with you on the tour or you may choose to dine in our outdoor Garden Café. MCL: Where do the event proceeds go? Leslie Davis: The proceeds from this event benefit the MRA Development Foundation. This year’s funds will be used toward new buildings and technology upgrades for our school thus further enhancing the educational opportunities for students.
MCL: How much are tickets?
Ashley Venable: Admission is $15.00. Your ticket provides admission to all events. Tickets may be pre-purchased at MRA for $12.00 each or $10.00 each for groups of 10 or more.
For more information, call 601-856-4455 or visit www.mragardens.com.