By Lydia Bolen
Mississippi Church Suppers is the ultimate church cookbook featuring favorite recipes from Baptist churches across the state of Mississippi.
Church cookbooks have some of the best recipes, and this one might have just the recipe you are looking for. The recipes featured have been handed down through generations of outstanding cooks. Compiled to the glory of God, these are the recipes your family and friends will love.
Enjoy preparing these favorites of mine from this cookbook!
ROQUEFORT PEAR SALAD
- 1 head leafy lettuce, torn bite-size (or bag Romaine)
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 /2 cup thinly diced green onions
- 1 /4 cup sugar
- 1 /2 cup chopped pecans
Layer lettuce, pears, cheese, avocado, and green onions in a large bowl.
Stir sugar and pecans together in a skillet over medium heat until sugar has caramelized.
Sprinkle over salad.
- 1 /3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Blend olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper; mixing well.
Pour over salad in bowl.
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE PIE
- 1 1 /4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 /2 cup brown sugar
- 1 /2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 /2 cup melted butter
Combine crust ingredients and press into a 9×13-inch pan (or 2 pie pans)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 /2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
Mix filling ingredients thoroughly and pour over crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cool before topping.
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix topping ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until juice thickens. Cool, and then pour over pie. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
BEST HAM SANDWICHES
- 2 (12-pack) packages sweet Hawaiian rolls, halved (as for a sandwich)
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 1 /2 pounds Virginia ham, sliced
- 1 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
You will need 2 (9×13-inch pans). Place bottoms of rolls in pans. Cut cheese slices into 4 parts and place 2 parts on rolls. Put a slice of ham over cheese, then top with remaining cheese.
Melt butter with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and poppy seeds. Place tops of rolls on sandwich and brush butter mixture on top.
Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.
For more information on this cookbook, Mississippi Church Suppers, contact Great American Publishers at 1.888.854.5954 or visit www.MSChurchSuppers.com.